Friday, December 19, 2008

How I feel about staying home with my baby

For those of you wondering how I feel about being a 'stay at home mom' - I LOVE it! I had some concerns initially... the primary one being that I'm pretty social and would get lonely. Fortunately, I'm also proactive and even though we've moved I've made some connections with other moms so that I can see people during the week. But there weren't really many 'playdates' this week and I'm still not lonely. Can you guess why? Not just because I call my mom incessantly, or have awesome friends I text with, or because I've got Jesus all day long - because I'm BUSY! There's plenty to do and it never gets done! Anyway, I like those routine tasks, I like having a to-do list to reference, and I love spending lots of time watching Madalyn learn and grow and explore. Today she spent a lot of time with the Baby Einstein shape sorter, pulling the shapes out of the box. It was very serious business. At one point she became pretty frustrated, but she persisted and we celebrated when she was successful! I like planning activities for her, I like seeing her little smile and giggle and knowing why she's fussy if she is (or thinking I know why...). So, so far, with my one child, my baby who sleeps lots and is as pleasant as any baby can be, I am very, very happy to be a stay at home mom. In case you were wondering :-)
Also, we had our 9 month appointment and met our new doctor. Madalyn weighs a whole 14 pounds and 4 oz with her clothes on :-) A pound a month - the baby is predictable! They said she looked well fed (she's getting a little round- it's super cute). They said her ears look good (yay! no ear infection!). And there was the initial comment of course "Oh she's cute; wow, she's tiny isn't she?". This doctor also stared mouth agape when I gave her the run down of heights in our family. I'm not sure I appreciated that - but I kept my martial arts skills to myself lest she think I was weak and defenseless due to my size. In any event, she was nice and seemed to know what she was doing. She also seemed to like Madalyn a lot. And she comes highly recommended. So!

No comments: