
This morning we attended the Church of Christ down the street. I really loved the sermon (Jason had Madalyn duty and didn't get to hear it as well as I did). It was about Simon Peter, who I just think is fascinating. And as the pastor told the story of Peter denying Jesus after telling Jesus he wouldn't, and then thinking he would never have the chance to reconcile with Jesus in person, I was on the edge of my seat listening to the description of their first encounter post-resurrection. As the pastor described Jesus appearing and telling them to cast their nets and I imagined Peter realizing that this scene was just all too familiar, I thought "surely he's not going to sit there and row back to shore! Surely he'll jump into the water and swim to him! Surely!' And I was right. He dove in. Are Peter and I on the same page or what? What a great God we serve; he gives forgiveness abundantly to the repentent heart. Three times Peter had denied him and left Jesus to die; three times Jesus allowed him to promise to 'feed his sheep' - to move on, to go forth with the great commission, his sin behind him; his shame behind him. I am so grateful to be changed; so glad to leave my shame behind me.
"Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame." Psalm 34:5
No comments:
Post a Comment