I'm sorry it has taken so long for us to update everyone!! The first week has been wild, and we did not get internet until Thursday. Let's see, what should I start with? So many stories... the electricity, the fire, the red ants, the donkey, the ear infection... let's start with the fire :-)
When the electricity came back on, it was a wonderful moment. I glanced up Monday morning to see the foyer lamp on, and when I looked around, everything was on! The new refrigerator was whirring, the ceiling fans were moving, and there was light! About five minutes later I smelled something odd... I figured - the electricity just turned on, new house, new smells, no big deal. Then came the very loud beeping noise. Dallas came careening around the corner barking furiously. I looked around and thought: electricity just turned on, new house, new sounds... but I decided I need to investigate this one. Eventually I checked the kitchen. Bingo! It was the smoke detector making that noise. Because there was a small fire on my stovetop :-) I guess that at some point one of the burners got turned on on the stove when we were moving in, and it just so happened that one of my five magnetic notepads happened to be laying on the chosen burner. Result = fire! Fortunately (?), this is not the first time I have left something flammable on a burner. I was able to put it out with no problems. I think that this, my third small kitchen fire has finally hammered the point home, though. Northrup Family Kitchen Rule #1 : nothing flammable on the stovetop!!
Getting Lost: within an hour after this event, Jason called because he had forgotten his flashdrive. Since I was looking forward to (and in desperate need of) a warm shower, I decided Madalyn and I would just jump in the car and quickly run it to him - no need to pack a diaperbag (ominous music here)... 30 minutes later I called my mom crying while Madalyn cried louder behind me in her carseat. She googled me home (after googling me a little further east than I needed to go). When she arrived one day later, she made the same mistake I did on her way to her house. Seriously Temple city planners, put a street sign at 363 and 2305!!
Fire ants: while having a leisurely visit with our wonderful neighbor, Milton, I looked down to discover one of my feet covered in red ants. I leared why they are called fire ants: the bites feel like fire. I doused my foot in cold water and covered it in neosporin pain relief. It was probably a waste of neosporin, and sometimes I imagine they're still on me when I walk in our yard. I'm not seeking therapy yet... I'll let you know if it turns out I need it. I bet some of you can make a good referral or two ;-)
The cable guy: This was an interesting character. He arrived and quickly gave me a full description of how he would install the internet. He then told me all about his new bride, her position in management at HEB and her pending General Studies degree. He told me he had been in the marines. He then told me that his new wife won his heart by 'annoying the snot' out of him. He explained that in order to win over his grandmother he called her on the fact that she was antagonizing the family for fun during a cookout. Lastly, he showed me that the internet was working by leading me to a youtube video of people fencing while wearing chainmail and explaining that this is something he does for fun on the weekends, and that guy in green is very good and he had actually battled him. When I tried to be polite and track with him by saying 'oh, like the renaissance festival' he corrected me by saying that the renaissance festival is actually more like a mini-mall in comparison to what he participates in.
Dallas: Doing well, but a little disoriented. When I dropped something on Monday he assumed someone was at the door and barked dutifully as he peeled out of the back bedroom and slid directly into the door frame (poor guy - dog nails have no traction on laminate floors). Didn't slow him down though - he then proceeded to bark enthusiastically at the back door.
Dallas and the donkey: Last night Jason and I were sitting in the living room when Dallas made a sort of excited-bark noise at the back window. Turns out the donkey in the pasture behind our house had come up to our fence. Dallas looked pretty intrigued so we opened the door and Jason led the way to greet the donkey (I stayed behind, the donkey's comfort with sustained eye contact makes me uncomfortable). Dallas went halfway with him, and looked very happy and interested in greeting the donkey, but ended up succumbing to shyness and feigning disinterest while sniffing camping chairs. But I know how he really felt - his tail was wagging (Jason was less perceptive and became alarmed that Dallas would pee on the chairs). We look forward to watching the development of this friendship between Dallas and the donkey.
Madalyn: Our precious princess has an ear infection!! Our insurance hasn't kicked in yet (much to Jason's dissatisfaction) but I found a walk in clinic that doesn't usually see children under 1 but made an exception. So there are antibiotics hard at work in our little angel's body. (that was kind of a wierd picture, wasn't it?).
Jason: Wow. Guess we got distracted by the dissertation defense, the move, the lack of electricity, the class he's teaching at ACU, and forgotten that his first week of work might be overwhelming. Thank you so much to everyone who prayed him through this week!! After 40 hours of client contact and about 40 hours of paperwork, he's now planning for his class. I'm sure he'd appreciate continued prayers.
Kirsten: I'm fine :-) Rearranging the kitchen a little, hanging things up, trying to keep a map with me at all times.
We love you all and miss you so much! It feels like two months has passed as opposed to one week since we moved. Sheesh :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment