Today's assignment started with this quote:
Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years. ~ Simone Signoret
It made me think about how the longer Jason and I have been together, the more our lives have become woven together. The more things we share. Our memories become more 'ours' than mine or his. I guess this part of marriage isn't something I'd ever thought about before, and recently I started to notice.
But another interesting aspect of this, is that if we don't stay connected and share and talk about our experiences, we really miss out. For example, just because we were both at an event doesn't mean we shared the experience... just that we were both present. And that's where the friendship part of marriage makes all the difference. The desire to describe our lives and not just live them side by side. The ability to know each other so well that we can guess pretty accurately what they think.
Anyway, that's the direction this quote got me going. I'm really glad I have my bestest friend Jason to weave my life together with, and I'm even more grateful that he is willing to share his experiences with me in the process. So Jason, thanks for always answering when I ask "what are you thinking?" :-)
1 comment:
KID! I agree. I think the same thing could be said for families too. One of my favorite parts of our family vacations growing up was the last few moments (driving home or getting on a plane) when my Dad would ask-what was your favorite part? It's funny that everyone would have a different answer (though Johnny's, predictably, generally involved food :)
Post a Comment