Monday, October 20, 2008

Gentle Jesus?


Recently some friends and I were going over the passage in John (the Gospel) where Jesus overturns the tables in the temple. I was honest with my sweet sisters :-) and told them I'm not crazy about this passage, and I sort of wonder why Jesus couldn't have communicated calmly and directly without knocking anything over. (Such a girl, aren't I?). Cayce came to our next meeting with a quote that she said would 'kick your butt'. She was right.

"Jesus is good in the extreme. But He is not tame. He is demanding; He is painfully incisive; He is vindictive of sin and intolerant of unbelief; He is light that ruthlessly exposes our wickedness. If a man is not ready to be stripped bare and clothed only in Christ, he has no other option but to cower in the darkness."

Whoa. Sounds like someone who can turn over a table or two if he wants to, doesn't it? And let's be honest - he has plenty of reason to be loud and angry, whether it makes me uncomfortable or not. So maybe that conversation was the beginning of me really becoming fascinated with the person of Jesus - who he was when he walked on earth, and who it is really that I'm following. I'm reading 'The Jesus I never knew' right now, and wow. I'm also intrigued now with the men and women who followed him when he was here on earth, and how similar their experiences are to us as his followers now... or how similar they should be. Anyway. If we're going to believe in Jesus, then we should know who it we're following and watch it rock our worlds. I know I haven't fully experienced that yet... I'm glad he's patient because I'm pretty confident I couldn't handle everything he has planned for me at once!

1 comment:

jesuslovesgiraffes said...

Awesome Diggs. And I totally agree - I'm glad that Jesus works slowly because if I had known even a few years ago, all the He had planned for me, I would've freaked! :)