Monday, October 20, 2008

Family


Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible.

- Virginia Satir


Jason and I have been discussing our vision for our marriage, our family and our ministry, thanks to the sermon series happening at church :-). The above quote seems to represent well a portion of what our vision for our family is. As our children grow up and we ourselves grow and change, I hope we can appreciate all of our differences (and wow how people are different!) and forgive and laugh at one another's and our own mistakes. I think communicating is so important, and not only because I enjoy it :-) but because that's how intimacy and empathy are established and problems are solved. I have adopted Robby Gee's ominous and true mantra: "secrets kill families". And as for flexible rules... well that's a constant growing place for me and one I'm committed to continuing to work hard at :-) I tend to prefer predictabilty and as little change as possible... you can imagine how I'm constantly being stretched!!


Of course, this is only a piece of the praying and planning we are doing as we consider and put into action what we want to be as a family and how we want our values to manifest in our family life... I think it's definitely a cause worthy of open communication :-)


Check out this link to hear some of what our ministers have been saying - it's good stuff!



No comments: