I have been challenged to write about a 'Thin Place' in my life in exactly 259 words. Below is my response. I have included the definition of a 'thin place' for those of your unfamiliar with the term :-)
Thin places are those times where the division between this world and the eternal fades; they are snatches of holy ground, tucked into the corners of our world, where we might just catch a glimpse of eternity. - Mary Demuth
I suppose every ‘thin place’ is equally powerful – a refreshing burst of the overwhelming love God our Father holds for us. But there’s something about the unexpectedness of the first time you come into contact with a connection that big that cannot be forgotten. It’s worth savoring and replaying over and over.
I was 18 and it was my first year in college. I attended the dorm Bible studies thinking I’d be on the inside track because, after all, I had attended Sunday school for years. But I observed quickly that these girls had something I didn’t.
One night I lay on the dorm room bed and stared out the window at the sky. I prayed and cried – I wanted to believe, but I wasn’t sure! The sky was quiet behind double paned glass and dusty blinds.
The next night, I stood outside and gazed deeply into a sky that seemed to have opened up before me! As the words a friend had spoken echoed and multiplied within my heart, I felt the Lord’s embrace. The sky was so deep and wide and real and I knew in my bones and my veins and my heart that God loved me! The God of the Bible, the God of the Israelites, God of all creation – he loved me!
It defies logic. Yet, in that moment it overwhelmed me with its truth to the point that I would never question it again. Those moments we come searingly close with what is eternal and godly. They are well described as ‘thin places’.
Check out 'Thin Places, A Memoir' by Mary Demuth - she's an amazing author! And to learn more about the challenge, click here: http://www.blogtourspot.com/2010/02/thin-places-blog-tour/.
2 comments:
Wonderful thin place essay, Mrs. Northrup! :0) I can't find your first name on here. :0) Anyway, I love it when you said I knew in my bones and in my veins. Great choice of words! The love of God is like that, isn't it? Deep-all the way to our bones and veins! Thank you for coming by my blog and checking out my thin place, too. Bless you! BTW, your daughter is PRECIOUS! :0)
Beautiful story of how God came near through the sky and His love. Thanks for sharing it!
Post a Comment