Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bowed Down

I love scripture. I love the way that when I spend more time in it, the more connections are made, the more truth is revealed, the more light and life I experience. Just love it!

This past Sunday in my Sunday school class we discussed the way that all of the soldiers 'fell down' when Jesus said "I am He". Roman soldiers, on a mission to seize a simple man, found the target and fell down. Immediately. Illogical response, right? I jsut kept thinking about Dog the Bounty Hunter (of course) and how riled up he and his fam are when they're chasing down someone. If the person they're looking for is confirmed as the target they don't fall down unless they're tackling him and they both hit the floor! But our God is so awesome, so other-worldly, that the very mention of his name emmanates power and humbles people straight to the hard earth.

And yes, I'm comparing the Roman soldiers of Jesus's time to Dog the Bounty Hunter. Enjoy that.

This afternoon I'm going back through Elizabeth George;s 'Woman After God's Own Heart' workbook and she references the way prayer leads us to worship and asks the participatant to check out Exodus 4:31:

"and they believed. And when they heard that the Lord was concerned about them and had seen their misery, they bowed down and worshiped."

It got me thinking about the last time I was so overcome by worship for God that I bowed down, fell down. This scripture could be my answer! Because the moment I always think of is one where I recognized that the Lord was concerned about me, had seen (what I experienced as) misery, and I bowed down and worshiped."

I would love to live in that state; being so overcome by a God that loves me and so filled with the outpouring of answered prayers around me that I have this indescribible need to get on my knees, stretch my arms out on the floor in front of me and say 'thank you' with a swelling heart.

Just incredible. I guess my prayer for you, reader, is that your moment like this is brought to mind and re-experienced as you read this; and that if no worshipful fall-to-the-floor moment comes to mind that one walks through your day soon.

No comments: