So monthly blogging seems to be my trend... but next week is Madalyn's birthday, so surely I'll be back on here soon :-)
Here's a few photos from our Wednesday afternoon.
And here are some confessions from this stay-at-home mom. Just some things I wish other moms would say outloud now and then so I'd feel normal(ish).
Confession #1:
My house is a fluid disaster (disaster defined: toys, laundry (clean and dirty), magazines, mail, dog fur, toys again, stuff I've never seen before, receipts, shoes - everywhere. Often rearranged, rarely put away - and if put away, quickly replaced by three new items. I try to blame this on the dog, but he's only responsible for the shoes. Blaming it on the children seems too obvious and I guess part of me thinks I should be able to get them to put their things away. Most of it is just me, getting sidetracked all day with things in my hands that end up on the couch. If it could just get to a manageable level, where I'd walk through the room and think 'I need to pick up' and I actually believed it could be done in 15 minutes. That's what I'd be happy to live in. But this - this level of unfinished housework just kicks me when I'm down. Oh well.
Confession #2:
My kids are not that clean. If I bathe them every day it might make the dry bumpy rash they are each sporting worse. Plus, I'm just not home in time every evening to do the bathtime routine. They eat off the floor. I don't feel too bad about that one - I think most moms get to that point. I'm pretty confident Madalyn doesn't wash her hands everytime she uses the potty and I know she blatantly disregards my toilet paper on the public toilet seat rule if I'm not there with her. And I pretty much give Liam free reign to lick everything he can reach when we're out and about, because it's too much work to wrestle with him and accomplish my current task (shopping, eating, interacting with Madalyn or other adults). Amazingly, only one of them has been sick in the past year. I'm trying not to use this information as a basis for encouraging all other parents to disregard general rules of hygeine - but it's tempting.
Confession #3:
I spend way too much time in an internal struggle about whether or not to have more children. I love my two so much and they seem to be growing up so fast - I hate to think I will have no more little babies in my home! But - and then there are all of the 'buts'. There are plenty of reasons to stop at a family of four. Of course.
Confession #4:
My attempts to implement nifty homeschooling-type activities that I get from spiffy blogs (there have been about 3 attempts) usually entertain or interest my children for about 2.5 minutes. Trust me - it takes me way longer than that to set them up.
So there it is. If you share any part of these confessions and would like to make me feel a little less alone leave a comment :-) It felt pretty good to get all of this off my chest and own it in front of the 4 or 5 people who read this. There may be more coming :-)
2 comments:
I love you Kirsten and I love the fact that you are not so OCD as to have a spotless house, or not let your kids eat off the floor, or let Liam lick everything, or get mad at Dallas for bringing your shoes out! I also can't believe Madalyn is about to have another birthday..and yes I am in favor of you having another baby (so we can plan another baby shower reunion!!)
Yes, Yes, Yes...All this is so familiar. Except we don't have a dog. ( I wish we did) Mine are 5 and almost 3.5. The house cleaning will get easier. (right now it doesn't matter most!) they love to help me do everything which slows things down, but atleast it gets done, sometimes. Then sometimes it's all a mess for a month or more. Making memories with my children is so much more fun than dishes, cothes and picking up. The dishes, clothes and clutter will be there tomorrow...one day my kids will not.
The wisest moms will tell you all the time..in gorcery stores, church, walking by them on the street: "Enjoy them while you can, they grow up so fast!" Some people dismiss their comments, but I take them to heart.
I'm proud of you!
Oh, and the homeschool activities get easier as you go. Just setting out playdough, kitchen dishes or scraps of craft material and letting them do what they want with it is just as good as a well planned lesson. Let them lead and you will learn so much more about their little personalities and then you will learn which "lessons" will hold their attention longer!
Love and miss you Kirsten! Love your monthly blog!
Melissa F
Post a Comment