Sunday, August 14, 2011

Idol Worship

People pleasing is a subtle and sneaky kind of idolatry. How quickly I have written it off as common among oldest borns, and efficient way to 'do well' socially, a good way to make friends. I've prayed the scripture "The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart" without really seeing people pleasing for what it is until now - idolatry. It is the kind of idolatry that worms it's way into so many areas of your life it's difficult to realize. Am I making this purchase because I like it/need it, or because I think I have to have it to be liked? Or even because I used to think that way and continue to behave accordingly without a second thought? How many of my behaviors serve the god of 'pleasing others' instead of the one true God?


Sin begets sin - how much anxiety is a result of serving the idol of people-pleasing? How much freedom will I gain as I repent and experience God's cleansing work in this area of my life?



Can't wait.


Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.



Galatians 1:10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kirsten.
Melissa F.

Christine said...

I've thought about this for 2 days. It really touched me and has made me take note of things that I'm putting ahead of God that I would never have thought of an idol. Thank you, Kirsten, for your insight when I need it and don't realize it. :)