Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Being a helper

Recently Madalyn had a meltdown when it was time for her to get her clothes out of the dryer, put them in her wagon, and walk them to bedroom.
When she was done crying, she came to me and asked for a hug. I said:
"Madalyn, why did you not want to be a helper? We are all helpers in our house. We all have jobs and getting your clothes out of the dryer is your job."
Madalyn replied:
"Like Dallas's job is to guard the house?"
"Yes, like Dallas's job is to guard the house. And he doesn't cry about it - he's happy to do it. Isn't he?"
"Uh-huh."
I don't know that this is a shining moment as a parent, but it is pretty fun that Madalyn brought up Dallas's role in the family. Heehee.
(pictured: Madalyn helping clean the baseboards=making puddles and having a delightful time)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this story. :-) LynnAnne

Anonymous said...

I remember trying to get you to clean up your toys at that age. You said " I'm nothing but Cinderella". And now you are persecuting your child too..You were so put out, at having to work..funny.

Drew and Bitar said...

Oh, washing baseboards...reminds me of my helping days!