I caught myself today being 'entitled'.
I've figured for a while that this is something I probably have issues with, but I hadn't quite identified it. Enter Sprint.
In a morning of harried errand running with Madalyn, I arrived at the Sprint store hoping to find out why my phone isn't working (still don't know, by the way). I unloaded Madalyn and got all the way up to the door, pulled on it, and it didn't open. It was locked. The guys inside looked at me and held up 10 fingers, to signify 10 minutes.
I made no eye contact and didn't acknowledge his message. I turned around and thought to myself "No. I have a 2 year old, I'm here now, you're not doing anything. If you can't help me now, then I'm leaving."
As I reloaded Madalyn I started to recognize how many ways this act of 'dignity' was going to hurt me and the reality that it would do little (nothing) to teach the Sprint employees or corporation a lesson in how you treat mamas of young children.
In fact, the whole things started to make me feel ridiculous. Particularly as I turned on Christian music and heard the musician minister about how I am to represent Christ.
So, I drove approximately 20 feet to go through the Starbucks drive thru, and then returned to the Sprint store, which was now open. I was friendly and kind and left with absolutely no idea what's wrong with my phone. I'll have to go to the Killeen store tomorrow.
But really, I left the Sprint store a better person - and grateful for a God who shows us our offenses when we invite him to. And sometimes when we don't invite him to. But that's a different blog :-)

Go forth and be humble, readers! ;-)
2 comments:
Good for you KID! We all need that kind of patience-particularly when it comes to mobile phone stores and good for you for finding yours!
Can't wait to see you!
I like this picture of you and Madalyn. It looks very urban :)
Why thank you - it is very urban - that right there is the San Antonio riverwalk, Kid!
Post a Comment