Friday, June 24, 2011

Goodbye Paci

Here we go; Jason and I are finally ready to take the paci away from Madalyn and face the music (or screams and tears and protests).

Our plan: take advantage of a coupon and let Madalyn select a toy to be her reward after her first night sans pacifier.

We informed her of the plan yesterday and today we went to the toystore. She has questioned the reason for stopping paci use several times since this news. Our reason is: she is a big girl who doesn't need one to sleep and the paci is not good for big girl teeth. Then we tell her we know it will be hard to stop using a paci, so the new toy is a reward and that thinking about the new toy can make letting go of the paci easier.

It may be overkill, but I'm nervous.

I told her we were going to throw her pacis in the trash and she didn't like that; said they would get dirty. So instead we're going to wash them and save them for baby Liam.

The toy store trip was a little overwhelming; but she landed on a babydoll carseat - and then I threw in a boy baby doll because I was afraid it wouldn't be a big enough sell - maybe unnecessary but I don't claim to be flawless. And during the whole search I got nervous she'd have her first bout of buyers remorse.


So far - so good! Weathered rest time just fine, although she didn't sleep. She also stuck the Maid Marian beany baby in her mouth initially. When I stopped her she told me "but I just like something to chew".

I plan to keep you updated; but admittedly, I'm not the most reliable blogger ;-)

No comments: